Our next free collection of Revit content is a set of imperial manufacturer-specific families for commercial indoor lighting systems. These include a selection of downlights, linear troughs, battens and sconces. With a variety of mounting methods such as ceiling recessed, surface mounted and pendant hung, this collection can be used for office, retail and plant room scenarios.
Focus on LEDs
For the purposes of facilitating more sustainable design and lower environmental impact, we've created this collection with a focus on LED lighting fixtures. There are a number of well known environmental issues with the use of traditional flourescent and incandescent bulbs. While there are several options for more eco-friendly lighting design including CFL (compact flourescent light) and halogen, LEDs are the most efficient option.
Some of the most important benefits of LED lighting include:
- Longer life span than traditional bulbs.
- Mercury-free and lower use of potentially hazardous materials.
- More energy efficient than conventional bulbs.
- Emit very little heat compared to incandescent or CFL bulbs.
- Cost efficient over long periods of time.
- Emit light in a specific direction, reducing the need for reflectors and diffusers.
- LEDs are brighter which means fewer total luminaires are needed.
Project Needs & Usability
All of the LED lighting fixtures in this collection have been created to allow for use from project design through stage 4c mock-up drawings. One feature that we've recently added to our luminaire families is the option for symbol rotation, which some of our clients had previously asked for.
Now we have an instance parameter that can facilitate the mass rotation of light fixtures to suit an ever-fluid building design where the orientation of ceilings and rooms can change daily. The symbols also have vertical and horizontal offsets that will affect the coarse LOD only.
The Revit families utilise three levels of details to offer optimum performance at all stages of building development. Especially for the downlights, we have tried to make the most of materials to show the intricate body as opposed to showing these fins with geometry. This keeps file size to a minimum. And while this may not be immediately noticeable, it will bring obvious benefits to your workflow as soon as you have a large project with hundreds of these units.
Some of the lighting fixtures include emergency lighting types. As such, the symbol will reflect this and, in most cases, the LED driver will get larger to allow for integrated emergency backup.
These luminaires all have the appropriate connectors to be added to power and control systems. In the near future, we will release a Lighting Controls collection, which will interact with these Revit lighting fixture families to create precise control circuits and comprehensive deliverables.
Showing the correct lighting effect is also very important. Nearly all of our LED luminaires have a light source driven by the manufacturers photometric web file (IES file). When the Revit family has a large number of types, this IES file is actually stored within the type catalogue. Although this means the type catalogue loads slightly slower than normal, the benefit is that the end user doesn't need to path any IES file.
Providing ambient lighting, our series of linear LED lights from Deco and Cree include low bay profiles and linear battens. With options for ceiling recessed and surface mounting, ceiling pendant and suspended versions, they can be used for office and plantroom spaces.
For additional ambient lighting, we have a series of wall- and ceiling-mounted sconces providing downlight, uplight and complete wall washing in both directions. These units are from manufacturers Eiko and Amerlux.
Get the Collection
Collection Content List
- Two ceiling-recessed LED downlights from Cree.
- Ceiling-pendant linear batten LED light from Cree.
- Suspended linear batten LED light from Cree.
- Surface-mounted linear batten LED light from Cree.
- Ceiling-recessed high-efficiency linear LED light from Cree.
- Ceiling-recessed LED downlight from Jesco.
- Ceiling-recessed LED downlight from Deco.
- Ceiling-recessed back-lit linear LED light from Deco.
- Ceiling-recessed linear LED light from Deco.
- Suspended linear LED light from Deco.
- Surface-mounted linear batten LED light from Deco.
- Suspended linear batten LED light from Deco.
- Ceiling-pendant linear batten LED light from Deco.
- Ceiling-pendant LED sconce from Deco.
- Ceiling-mounted LED sconce from Deco.
- Wall-mounted wall washing LED sconce from Amerlux.
- Ceiling-pendant LED downlight from Amerlux.
- Wall-mounted wall washing LED sconce from Eiko.
- Wall-mounted uplight LED sconce from Eiko
- Wall-mounted downligth LED sconce from Eiko.
Want More Content?
All of our free Revit collections are part of Kinship Content+, a service providing companies with on-demand Revit content creation as well as access to a pool of existing Revit families from other customer requests and our own internal development.
If you have any comments, or suggestions for components you wish were in this collection, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.